Treatment of Shen Disturbances
15 Continuing Education Units (CEU)
This online course will discuss the Chinese medicine view of the psyche and the treatment of some common mental-emotional patterns. The course describes in detail the nature and clinical application of the Five Shens, i.e. the Shen, Hun, Po, Yi and Zhi. The nature and functions of the Hun and its relationship with the Shen are essential to understand the pathology (and treatment) of depression and bipolar disease in Chinese medicine.
After discussing the Five Shens, the course will look at the emotions as causes of disease in Chinese medicine. This part of the course will discuss the traditional 7 emotions (joy, anger, sadness, grief, fear, worry and pensiveness) and some new emotions that are not usually discussed in Chinese books such as shame and guilt.
The course will focus on the following topics:
- Hun, Po, Shen, Yi and Zhi in Chinese medicine and clinical applications
- The relationship between Hun & Shen and its role in depression and bipolar disease
- Traditional and new emotional causes of disease with clinical manifestations
- The mental-emotional functions of some important acupuncture points
- Treatment with classical herbal formulae
This course consists of a 278 slide lecture with video narration, text, diagrams and photos. The treatment discussed includes herbal medicine and acupuncture.