Treatment of Bipolar Disorder
4 Continuing Education Units (CEU)
Bipolar Disorder, also known as manic-depressive illness, is a serious medical illness that causes shifts in a person's mood, energy, and ability to function. More than 2 million American adults have bipolar disorder.
Bipolar disorder follows closely the symptoms of the ancient Chinese disease of Dian Kuang which may be translated as dullness and raving or dullness and mania. However, the course will explore to what extent bipolar disorder corresponds exactly to Dian Kuang in Chinese medicine.
The course will discuss the following topics:
- Bipolar disorder in Western medicine
- Bipolar disorder in Chinese Medicine
- Aetiology of Dian Kuang
- Pathology and treatment principles of Dian Kuang
- Acupuncture treatment
- Identification of patterns and treatment
- Qi stagnation and Phlegm
- Heart and Spleen deficiency with Phlegm
- Qi deficiency with Phlegm
- Knotted Heat in the Heart channel
- Phlegm obstructing the Heart orifices
- Phlegm-Fire harassing upwards
- Fire in Bright Yang
- Gall Bladder- and Liver-Fire
- Fire injuring Yin with Phlegm
- Qi stagnation, Blood stasis, Phlegm
- Yin deficiency with Empty Heat
For each pattern, the treatment with herbal medicine will be discussed. Particular emphasis will be laid on how to strategize the treatment in order to treat both the depressive and manic side of this disease. Apart from the acupuncture treatment according to patterns, a section of the course will also discuss the main acupuncture points for the treatment of mania.
This course consists of a nearly 3 hour lecture with video narration, text, diagrams and photos. The treatment discussed includes herbal medicine and acupuncture.