The Foundations of Chinese Medicine: A Comprehensive Text for Acupuncturists and Herbalists
This successful Chinese medicine textbook covers the theory of traditional Chinese medicine and acupuncture, and discusses in detail the use of acupuncture points and the principles of treatment. The material is based on rigorous reference to ancient and modern Chinese texts, and explains the application of theory in a Western practice context. The new edition features new and updated material, including discussion of 50 additional acupuncture points and more patterns.
A redesigned layout complements the accessible writing style and makes the material even easier to follow. Plus, an accompanying CD-ROM contains over 750 self-testing questions in a variety of formats.
- The actions and functions of acupuncture points are thoroughly discussed, both from the classics and from the author’s own experience.
- English style and terminology makes material easy to follow.
- Comprehensive text contains everything students need for a complete introduction to the theory of acupuncture and Chinese medicine.
- Theory is combined with an in-depth acupuncture section.
- Concepts are clearly explained, including those that are complex and obscure material.
- Logical, sequential organization builds from basic theoretical concepts, through functions of individual organs, to disease categories, and the appropriate use of points.
- Authored by Giovanni Maciocia, one of the Western world’s leading authorities on Chinese medicine.
- New larger, two-color format and reader-friendly design emphasize essential facts and make it easier to navigate the text.
- More photos added to a color-plate section provide valuable supplemental information for diagnosis.
- Enlarged illustrations in the acupuncture sections clearly show point numbers and names.
- Additional illustrations, tables and diagrams make the information easier for students to learn and memorize.
- The size of Chinese characters has been increased so they are legible and easier to interpret.
- Chapter opening summaries and summaries of key points at the end of each chapter point out must-know information.
- Icons to make it easier to locate desired sections of information.
- 50 more acupuncture points are covered in this edition, reflecting the broad scope of current practice.
- More patterns are included, and combined patterns have been added to the individual pattern chapters.
- More information is provided on pathological processes, relative weighting of symptoms, and identification of patterns.
- More cases studies and case histories apply theory to diagnosis and treatment, bringing theory to life in a realistic context.
- Pinyin equivalents are included in the main text to make it immediately evident which original term is being translated.
- An accompanying CD-ROM provides self-testing questions and answers to help students check their understanding of material.
- The glossary has been expanded to include more terms and their origins from translation